The Weather Channel
36° F
New York, NY
Hi: 46° / Lo: 29°

Sports   edit

nhl - Scoreboard [hide]

Saturday, March 17, 2018
New Jersey Devils (37-26-8) at
Sunday, March 18, 2018
New Jersey Devils (37-26-8) at
Anaheim Ducks (36-24-12)
Tuesday, March 20, 2018
New Jersey Devils (37-26-8) at
San Jose Sharks (40-23-9)

nba - Scoreboard [hide]

Saturday, March 17, 2018
No Games Scheduled
Monday, March 19, 2018

nfl - Scoreboard [hide]

No Games Scheduled
No Games Scheduled
No Games Scheduled

mlb - Scoreboard [hide]

Saturday, March 17, 2018
Sunday, March 18, 2018
Miami Marlins (12-7) at
Monday, March 19, 2018
Tampa Bay Rays (9-12) at

Market Update  

- By Quentin Fottrell, MarketWatch Tickets for the comedienne's concert went on sale March 16 Kathy Griffin is back. The comedian sold out the lion's share of the five-tier, 2,894-seat Ster...


Sign In to get personalized news, weather and more at myEarthLink.

Printable View

Nepal plane crash came after confused pilot-airport chatter
Unidentified family members of a passenger of a US-Bangla Flight BS211 mourn as they wait to receive his body outside government hospital in Kathmandu, Nepal, Tuesday, March 13, 2018. A plane crash at Nepal's main airport killed 49 of the 71 people on board, police said Tuesday as an investigation was ordered into the cause of the accident, which occurred after seeming confusion over landing instructions before the plane, flying low and erratically, struck the ground and erupted in flame. (AP Photo - Niranjan Shrestha)
From Associated Press
March 13, 2018 10:36 AM EST

KATHMANDU, Nepal (AP) — "I say again, turn!" the air traffic controller called over the radio, his voice rising, as the flight from Bangladesh swerved low over the runway at Kathmandu's small airport.

Seconds later, the plane crashed into a field beside the runway, erupting in flames and leaving 49 of the 71 people on board dead.

That moment Monday appeared to result from minutes of confused chatter between the control tower and the pilot of the US-Bangla passenger plane, as they discussed which direction the pilot should use to land on the airport's single runway.

A separate radio conversation between the tower and at least one Nepali pilot reflected the sense of miscommunication.

"They appear to be extremely disoriented," a man said in Nepali, watching as Flight BS211 made its approach, though it was not clear if the voice belonged to a pilot or the tower. "Looks like they are really confused," said another man.

In the recording, posted by air traffic monitoring website, the pilot and the tower shifted back and forth about whether the pilot should approach the runway from the north or the south.

Just before landing, the pilot asked, "Are we cleared to land?"

Moments later, the controller came back on the air, his voice clearly anxious, and told the pilot, "I say again, turn!" Seconds after that, the controller ordered firetrucks onto the runway.

The plane, which was heading from Bangladesh's capital, Dhaka, to Kathmandu, was carrying 67 passengers and four crew members.

Kathmandu officials and the airline laid the blame for the accident on each other.

The airport's general manager told reporters Monday that the pilot did not follow the control tower's instructions and approached the runway from the wrong direction.

"The airplane was not properly aligned with the runway. The tower repeatedly asked if the pilot was OK and the reply was 'Yes,'" said the general manager, Raj Kumar Chetri.

But Imran Asif, CEO of US-Bangla Airlines, told reporters in Dhaka that "we cannot claim this definitely at the moment, but we are suspecting that the Kathmandu air traffic control tower might have misled our pilots to land on the wrong runway."

After hearing the recording between the tower and the pilots, "we assumed that there was no negligence by our pilots," he said.

He said the pilot, Capt. Abid Sultan, was a former air force officer and had flown the Bombardier Q400 series aircraft for more than 1,700 hours and was also a flying instructor with the airline. While officials in Bangladesh said the pilot had died from his injuries Tuesday, raising the death toll to 50 people, Nepal police spokesman Manoj Neupane later said that was wrong, and the death toll remained at 49.

The injured were being treated in various hospitals in Kathmandu, Nepal's capital.

Autopsies on the dead were being performed at the Kathmandu Medical College and Teaching Hospital morgue, where some 200 relatives waited to hear about their loved ones.

Dr. M.A. Ansari of the hospital's forensic department said identifying all the dead could take as long as a week because many of the bodies were badly burned. By late Tuesday morning, four bodies had been identified.

Anita Bajacharya waited at the hospital with her parents and other relatives for details on her 23-year-old sister, a medical student who had just finished school in Bangladesh and was returning home on the flight. The sister, Asma Shakya, had called her mother from the airport, excited about returning home. Now her family sat outside a hospital waiting for her body to be identified.

Relatives of the passengers from Bangladesh arrived in Kathmandu late Tuesday afternoon and were escorted to the hospital by airline officials.

Nepal's government has ordered an investigation into the crash. However, Mohammed Kamrul Islam, a spokesman for US-Bangla Airlines, said the governments of both Nepal and Bangladesh need to "launch a fair investigation and find the reason behind the accident."

According to the airline, the plane was carrying 32 passengers from Bangladesh, 33 from Nepal and one each from China and the Maldives. It did not provide the nationalities of the four crew members.

US-Bangla operates Boeing 737-800 and smaller Bombardier Dash 8 planes, including the Q400, the model that crashed.

The airline is based in Bangladesh's capital, Dhaka, and flies domestically and internationally. The parent company, part of US-Bangla Group, is also involved in real estate, education and agriculture.

Kathmandu's airport has been the site of several deadly crashes. In September 2012, a Sita Air turboprop plane carrying trekkers to Mount Everest hit a bird and crashed shortly after takeoff, killing all 19 people on board.


Associated Press journalists Niranjan Shrestha and Upendra Mansingh in Kathmandu and Julhas Alam in Dhaka, Bangladesh, contributed to this report.

Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.